Earth Day started in Spring of 1970. Gaylord Nelson wanted to shed some light on the importance of keeping our environment safe. Earth Day is a day for us all to take a moment to consider the environment and make small improvements in our daily lives.
The word 'sustainability' is currently used so often, but what does it really mean? In simple terms, sustainability means meeting our own needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. The three pillars of sustainability are the economy, society and the environment. The one we are going to be focusing on today is the environment!
We can all do our bit to do look out for the environment! Some ways to be more environmentally sustainable-
- Recycle and cut down on the use of plastic
- Change to a reusable coffee cup. Approximately 200 million single use coffee cups are disposed of every day in Ireland. By changing to a reusable coffee cup you are reducing this waste dramatically.
- Use compostable bins where possible. This will reduce the amount of waste going to landfill.
- Fix it, don't throw it. Instead of dumping, why not Upcycle? There is lots of tips and tricks online on how to Upcycle pieces around your home.
- Shop Local! The closer to home you buy the less carbon is created during transportation.
- & finally our favourite, SHOP PRE-LOVED!
The re sale customer is no longer a niche group, it's everyone! Shopping Pre Loved has become the thing to do. Pre loved sales are booming and it is helping to solve the sustainability crisis in the fashion industry. Whether you're shopping or selling pre loved YOU are contributing to the solution!
Some of our favourite reasons to shop pre loved-
- You can find hidden treasures that no one else has.
- You can find something that might be sold out in the department stores. That limited piece from 2005 that you really wanted could now be available through us, so what's meant to be will never pass you by.
- SAVE on the RRP! You can save up to 70% on the RRP while shopping pre loved.
- You're participating in the circular economy, meaning one handbag could have 10 homes rather than just 1.
- When you buy pre loved you can then trade pre loved. Meaning, the bag you buy from us can always be traded back to us reducing the cost of owning and the cost of the planet.