Sustainability is a word which has defined the last decade.
There has been a multitude of conversations, both good and bad, around the topic. This particularly so for the fashion industry, which is one of biggest industries in the world and also one of the most polluting. There is a call for change with our shopping habits and one such way is by shopping secondhand.
The secondhand industry has exploded in popularity in recent years and is continuing to grow. Despite this popularity, there is a lot of work to do in the fashion industry in terms of sustainability and with all of the negativity surrounding the topic (justifiably so) it can be hard to see how shopping secondhand makes a difference. Here at Designer Exchange we know how much of a difference everyone who shops secondhand is making so, on this Earth Day 2023 we are here to tell you how amazing the preloved industry actually is.
1. Each person shopping in the preloved industry can prevent more than 500 pounds of carbon emissions every year.
2. Shopping secondhand fashion reduces your water waste and carbon footprint by more than 80%.
3. Re-using and buying preloved clothes can save over 100,000 tons of textiles a year.
4. If everyone bought one used item instead of new in one year, it would save 11B kWh of energy, the equivalent of lighting up the Eiffel Tower for 141 years.
5. Buying preloved 100% increases your chance of being the most fashionable person in the room.
So what are you waiting for? Spend this Earth Day shopping secondhand and save our wonderful planet.
Shop everything preloved designer here at Designer Exchange.